Beware Searching for Senior Housing
There is a ton of really great information on the Internet about senior housing and senior services. There's also a lot of questionable advice. Be a savvy senior services consumer and avoid these pitfalls:
- Beware the 1-800 number on Senior Housing Guide websites - If there are only 1 or 2 listings and a 1-800 number for you to call-be cautious. Ask yourself why someone would go to the trouble to post a website with only a small amount of information and offer a phone number for you to call. They are likely going to take your information and try to sell you beach front property in Arizona, or it's a lead generation company. One local site you can use to search Senior Housing is TheSeniorHousingSearch.com.
- Don't "register" on Senior Housing Directory websites - The beauty of the Internet is being able to shop and gather information anonymously without the unpleasant babbling of some smarmy salesperson. You should expect to be able to search senior housing without giving out your name and email. You should not have to "register" to be able to search senior housing, only to be contacted by someone before you're ready. You should also expect to find contact information for a human.
- Don't believe it just because it's on the internet. This should go without saying. Because it's on the Internet, doesn't mean it's so. Is there an "about us" page where you can get some background on who is providing the information? Are you getting the information from an expert or a ghost writer?
- Don't assume that what you're reading on the internet will apply to the state you live in. You've heard that real estate is all about location location location. The same is true about the senior housing industry and the continuum of services available. Have an understanding of where the information originated from. It may or may not apply to your state laws.
- Don't go it alone. Enlist the assistance of a local professional. We navigate the senior services maze everyday and can provide you with a compass for your journey.